- How weather affects the experience of the city - Why cities should be designed to mitigate bad weather, and how we stand to benefit.
- Is a Smart City a Healthy City? - Smart cities aren’t the solution, but their strengths might contribute to a new set of priorities.
- Nature in spaces, and the nature of places - Experiencing nature acts like a reset button for our human RAM. How can we use this in design?
“far more than the individual liberty to access urban resources: it is a right to change ourselves by changing the city … The freedom to make and remake our cities and ourselves is, I want to argue, one of the most precious yet most neglected of our human rights.”
on Henri Lefebvre ‘Right to the City’
Prof. David Harvey
- The View from Above: New insights into how we group - As early as 1939, Muzafer Sherif showed that people perceived a light's movement differently if they were in a group.
- Design for real people - Success should be defined by how well the product’s design or functionality meets the needs of the people who use ...
“There is no doubt whatever about the influence of architecture and structure upon human character and action. We make our buildings and afterwards they make us. They regulate the course of our lives.”Winston Churchill
- Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite: assumptions about users may be off - Is it that architects don't contemplate all possibilities?
- Putting a Price on Consciousness: do the benefits square with the costs? - In the United States, president Ronald Reagan first proposed the cost-benefit calculus for policy efficacy.
new ways of thinking about places
by Cliff Hague
“Cities are people, not buildings.”Nick Tyler
- Self-Conscious Citizens: A nudge might make housing markets more humane - Governments go to great lengths to help people understand the deleterious decisions that crop up in daily life.
- Balancing Acts: Between Anticipatory and Participatory for Inclusive Design - "Presumption", the process by which companies capture knowledge from their consumers.
- Conscious Cities conference - Conscious Cities - Architecture and Neuroscience Date: 1 March 2016 Time: 9.00AM-17.30PM Organised by The Museum of Architecture and ...